Thursday, March 1, 2012

I have always loved you as a thief
To sing my head and to drown my grief.
It was no love song
That fought its Saturn strung hands
To ring my heart.

It wasn’t a melancholy melody,
Nor was it the dashing and
Swaying
That ran us home to safety.

It wasn’t your breath or
Your bitter taste
That kept the tune
So fervent in my mind
Nor the grassy eyed complexion
Of a halfwit seduction.

It was,
However,
The words you chose
And those you stole,
From another man’s head.
But I have always loved you as a thief,
To sing my head and to drown my grief.

I should have hungered longer
And kept the sham alive.
I should have lit the flame
And danced myself to ashes.
But mourners weep for lost loves only
And ache for the lonely still.
But they will never know a love like mine
Or the stars of your face
Or the enchanted sun
That seared my heart.

I should have loved you with more hope
But it was the holes that halved my heart
But I have always loved you as a thief,
To sing my head and to drown my grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment