Sunday, November 20, 2011

Before I was a girl, I was an aged crone.
A wise and withered ghost;
exhaling all my years,
deflating at the front.

Before I was a girl, I was a man.
I was with power and esteem
and honor.
I spoke and planted thoughts
for bloom.

Before I was a girl I was an afterthought.
A consequence of pleasure
and an object,
weighted by sin.

Before I was a girl
I was black and blue,
a baby soft with hot, hot irons.
A fire breathing, slow witted
pillowcase strewn with
last night’s face.

Before I was your girl I was your mother.
I hung like bells calling you to tea.
I hung like heads,
leadened with shame.
And I gazed at you with hate
like love,
and tucked you into sleep.

When I was no longer a phantom,
I was a form.
Moving fast as light,
a rhythm in your chest,
the spindle pulsing to 2,2 time
plucking and pulling the thread
to harden the heart.

Before I was a girl,
I was aged by my heart.
But now I am a child,
born from a jealous mouth
nothing ever more.

No comments:

Post a Comment